The children all have a colour banded book they take to and from school. We encourage the children to read three daily at home and ensure that they diaries are signed. When children arrive in the morning they can change their books.
When a child is ready to move to a new book band colour, we have assessments that the children complete. These assess whether the children can read the words but also if they can:
- Make predictions
- Make inferences
- Make deductions
- Summarise key points
- Justify actions of characters
- Have an opinion about the text, characters or story line
- Link events in texts to their own experiences
- Discuss the language used and its impact
- Understand the conventions of print and different text type features
To encourage children to read more we have a year group reward system. If a child reads 3 times in one week at home they will receive a raffle ticket. Every half term each class will hand out a prize to whoever's raffle ticket is pulled out of the box. In addition to this children can receive tokens for the amount of reads they do. When they have sufficient tokens they get to 'win' a book from our book dispensing machine!