The children all have a colour banded book they take to and from school. We encourage the children to read three times a week at home and ensure that their diaries are signed. They will be given time within the day to change their reading book.
In year 5 the children’s comprehension and understanding of a text is a main focus, and therefore children will be expected to do the following before they are moved on to the next colour band:
- Make predictions
- Make inferences
- Make deductions
- Summarise key points
- Justify actions of characters
- Have an opinion about the text, characters or story line
- Link events in texts to their own experiences
- Discuss the language used and its impact
- Understand the conventions of print and different text type features
- Use quotes from the text to justify points made.